Monday, November 2, 2009

A Swarmy Romance of Rape and Love... wait, what?


#9. Read 50 Books

Okay don't judge me too quickly on this one. I had to read it for research purposes for work. I can't go into details, but the romance novel genre is becoming my expertise. Well... sort of.

This one was particularly brutal. The whole concept is rape. He (Warrick, a name I kind of love) gets kidnapped by her (Rowena... like Rowena Ravenclaw or the girl in Mr. Holland's Opus) stepbrother and she has to rape him to sire a child that looks like her dead husband or her mother is killed. When he is set free/escapes, he takes her as a prisoner and in turn, rapes her. Then they fall in love and the rape becomes consensual. Throw in some subplot about secret identities and sworn enemies and you've got the gist of the book. Basically... lots of sex with a flimsy Jane Eyre/Cinderella-esque feel to it. (A Lady with stripped titles, a man who on the surface is frightening and rogue turns out to be charming and delectable after falling in love).

Reading these books reminds me of high school band trips, where we'd pass the books around, reading the juiciest parts. You can always tell where they are... its where the book is bent back and opens to immediately.

I'm not going to lie, though. I started reading it, and with nothing to do yesterday besides moan about my Halloween night debaucheries, I finished the entire book. I was captivated with its silky innuendos and ripe pluckings. The feeling of shame creeping up over me, bringing out a blush in my cheeks like a kid reading porn for the first time (which is what these books are... porn for women). The ease in which the pages turn as the flimsy plotline draws you in and entices you. I'll even go so far as to say this stupid book had me desperately wanting a certain boy to come over because it kept giving me scenarios to imagine... and this one picture of him wasn't helping things...

Wait. I'm at work. And who knows when I'll see him, so... let's use Finn from Glee's tactic... when he remembers a car accident he once had, an "accident in his pants," immediately making himself impotent.

TMI. I know.

2 comments:

  1. I find that if you read Susan Johnson's romance novels, especially Love Storm, everything is a set-up for (admittedly well-written) rape and BDSM scenes, which is amusing because they're so long. But, yes, after enough of the rapings, love springs forth and everyone lives happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true that porn for women is the written word whereas for men it is the visual image! Luckily for me I can just about string a sentence or two together...

    ReplyDelete

Shameless Self Promotion